Saturday, December 29, 2007

Realtors' Code of Ethics and What You Should Expect

What is a Realtors' primary obligation to you as our client? In Article 1 of Duties to Clients and Customers, "Realtors pledge themselves to protect and promote the interests of their client. This obligation to the client is primary, but it does not relieve Realtors of their obligation to treat all parties honestly."

So, first of all, you should expect honesty from a realtor, whether your realtor is your agent or the other party's agent.

"What if I suspect that my realtor isn't being honest?" Good question! It's a fair one to ask too. First of all, communicate with your realtor and describe your situation and feelings, and of course, the facts. Perhaps your realtor was miscommunicated to and passed that along, not knowing of the misinformation. This first step of communicating is crucial in maintaining a great relationship with your realtor. If your realtor gets defensive and you feel uncomfortable, take the next step and ask if they would mind if their broker helped to mediate the situation. If they don't mind, set up an appointment. If they do mind, maybe you should reconsider who you are using as an agent.

As a first-time home buyer, I used the seller's agent. This can work for both parties, depending on who the agent is. I wouldn't mind representing both the seller and buyer. I'd know what is going on in each person's mind, and since I like to be treated fairly, I treat them both fairly. Unfortunately for our family (did I already tell you this story??), our dual agent did not treat us fairly, and was, well, deceptive. If I had known then what I know now about the way realtors are expected to treat us, I would have gone to her broker and talked with him/her about our situation. So, since you home buyers and sellers are getting more educated about real estate, be among the first to learn about the Code of Ethics for Realtors, and make sure your agent is a Realtor (r).

God bless you and Happy New Year!

Connie Suehiro
Real Estate Agent, (working toward my Realtor (r) status) :)
Gary Mann Real Estate
305 E. Third
Moses Lake, WA 98837
cell: 509-431-5804 (call me for a free list of homes!)
office: 509-765-3463

No comments: